Wednesday 4 October 2023

The First Laughter

I will never forget the first laughter -

After the day I cried
And kept crying;
Into hours that were weeks
And weeks that were hours,
Wading through cloudlike reality -
For a time, I can only remember the clouds...

Until one evening, a suddenness,
A stubbornness -
My cat leapt up onto the lap 
Of a lady saying she didn't like cats.

Four legs cutting feline, quick, 
Wilful through all human feelings 
And shoulds
Landed through the fog
Of what I could not feel -

Here was something I loved.

And I laughed. 


LJ Ireton 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

A somewhere place

We are just two souls, sitting amongst the young stems and old shrubs in the sun. I think of us in Eden - long-toothed lions talking togethe...

Search This Blog