Sunday 15 October 2023

The elegance of ivy

It has taken me decades
To look how I wanted to
At eleven -
The rough elegance
Of ivy, wound and dripping 
Off bark
Jagged perfect hearts,
After years, a bouquet
Of my own making
And not listening to you
Or my impatience -
Just the girl
Who didn't want to brush her hair,
But catch her billowing skirts
On jutting leaves. 

I know how to be her now.
May I forgive myself
For never waiting long enough,
For forgetting
The desire of the young,
The trailing lovely dirty forest,
The gait of the willow - 
In my impulsive attempts
To shape a flower,
Instead of letting her grow.



Copyright LJ Ireton 2023 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

A somewhere place

We are just two souls, sitting amongst the young stems and old shrubs in the sun. I think of us in Eden - long-toothed lions talking togethe...

Search This Blog