In the feeding time

The day ended with dragonflies -
turquoise blue lights in straight lines,
flown through by fork-tailed swallows 
skimming the pond.
For hours I had used stillness, silence, 
a room, to lure words to me, 
when they were just outside -
translucent and swooping over the water
in the feeding time.
When the sun lowers a little, tinting clouds pink,
then poetry follows the birds picking insects, 
then I fill my paper in the liminal givings -
the moorhen's view of differing wings.
There is a never-sleeping world under ours, 
fringed with reeds and liquid-lined possibilities -
where mud ripples with webbed feet,
damsels dance infinity circles
and the dry grass with wet roots 
rustles constant, 
whispering. 


LJ Ireton, 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This morning I saw seagulls

Under the Sun