Tuesday 19 March 2024

Distant Creatures

I run through the mud in a town satin dress,
Pierced now with cat claws and hawthorn,
Cold moor winds.
At the fences I reflect on the unknown ground with the same sound of birds -
I could go to the ends of the earth
And a beautiful familiar
Would still find me there.

I pick up my skirts
To save them from more scratches
And curtsy to the souls
In the grass - 
Distant creatures have kept me close to myself,
A sheep's nose snuffle and look from feline eyes -
Mine, the things I love - 
Always mine. 


C. LJ Ireton 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

In the clearing

The forest was swollen with water.  Branches stirred swamped bases And moorhens made homes in brown bramble Puddles surrounded with mud. But...

Search This Blog