Tuesday 30 May 2023

Showing you the birds

Each day I run down
The blossom-strewn bank
To the shallow stream - 
Brown stone under pink
And watch the lone bird
Visiting -
Heron, egret, moorhen, crow.

Today I brought you with me
For the first time -
Showed you how we must get low
Under the trees,
Took you to the brown stones
And standing on the pink
We saw not one, but two jewelled mandarins
Together.

I tried to memorize the russet colour,
The white stripes 
But I always think in symbols
And couldn't deny
The imagery here -
Excited I repeated this to you,
Over and over.

I had wanted to show you the 
Chance of it,
The beauty of the birds
But you got to see, instead
How my mind worked
On blossom-strewn banks
Precious,
In the water. 



LJ Ireton
2023




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

A somewhere place

We are just two souls, sitting amongst the young stems and old shrubs in the sun. I think of us in Eden - long-toothed lions talking togethe...

Search This Blog