Tuesday 28 March 2023

Landmarks by Night, Liverpool

I always stepped off the bus 
By the bombed-out church 
When the sky was navy blue
And falling into streetlight stars 
On lamp-posts.

Bold Street lit up
The red brick outline,
The blown-out windows,
My hollowed-out heart.
The trees inside were 
Shadow black,
But the friendliest ghosts -

They marked the start 
Of the unknown night
Steps and cobblestones
Towards something.

For the first time in my life, 
I felt free 
Not to choose -
I wandered off where there was music,
The silent walls behind me.




C. LJ Ireton 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

A somewhere place

We are just two souls, sitting amongst the young stems and old shrubs in the sun. I think of us in Eden - long-toothed lions talking togethe...

Search This Blog