Monday 6 June 2022

A Sleeping History


I rub at my skin
Suddenly not knowing 
The blood sparkling 
Underneath.
Poison lurks there, bubbling,
Burning every belief
I had -

Even of what poison is.

I try to touch all the things I was told -
Hold on to the shape of me in my head
But all ideas fall through my fingers now
With the hot desert sands
Scratching
My senses,
My self.

One minute of magic 
Has undone me.
Deep, deep under my bones
A sleeping history has awaken -
Looking like the enemy.
My worst fear crawls, rises to the surface -
And I'm afraid of what I see.

But even worse, 
I'm afraid that I like it.


(Inspired by Rose in Twin Crowns)


C. LJ Ireton 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

In the clearing

The forest was swollen with water.  Branches stirred swamped bases And moorhens made homes in brown bramble Puddles surrounded with mud. But...

Search This Blog