Sunday 6 September 2020

Amusements

(For Jane)

My carousel love ended.
The music stopped.
And in the rain -
I clung on to the sculptured horse
Suddenly with no course
Of my own.

In the dark, the kissing lights
Of other fairground rides
Just beginning
Suddenly seemed brighter,
Hurting my eyes.
I slid off my seat and walked past them slowly,
With my head down.

By the exit someone was throwing candyfloss
Onto the ground
To be eaten by raindrops -
Sadness in a sweeter form. 
It surprised me - 
Amongst these amusements,
I had not expected 
To find another broken heart 
Like my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Songs

I spent one summer at the piano, in the dark - only a single slant of light could ever get in through that low window, leaning yellow dust m...

Search This Blog